Fanzine Idea: Luxe Eternal

• 35 Replies
Re: Fanzine Idea: Luxe Eternal
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »
So the tri-folds are folded and tucked in, not bound? 

That's works as a delivery system, but it would be kind of cool if they could be bound into the work so that they'd stay a part of each issue and still be copyable -- I'm not really sure how we (the consumers) will want to use the resources.

Also, can you have them folded at the printer or do you have to do that before shipping?

I wonder how many printed copies will sell.  I'd been thinking of this as a print-only thing.  But with your offering of PDFs, I suppose that'll be the biggest portion.

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 12:36:15 PM »
Oh, you know what would be hella sexy? Half legal w/playbooks tucked in. It would make printing the thing much easier too.

Ariel

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »
Half legal is my vote too; with playbooks tucked in/attached somehow.

EDIT: Playbooks to be Luxe Eternal's centerfolds.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:43:33 PM by Nathan Orlando Wilson »

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »
Oh, this is a good one.
Name your dream article / column.
What would you really love to see in Luxe Eternal?

I'll start.
"Recipes of the Apocalypse"
A collection of fan submitted Game Snack recipes

Well heck yes! All the stuff Joe said about scarcity, plus, Apopalypse Corn!

Also, a list of links and references you wouldn't necessarily think of, like catalogs for heavy equipment and EMT quick sheets and mountain-man re-enactment stuff and hobo art. Maybe with a different theme each time, like "Desert" or "Urban Jungle" or "Water-world".

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »
A couple of other thoughts from the record exec side of me.
<rant>

-charge more. Like $5-10. Why? People would be willing to pay that much, it will always cost more and take longer to make then you plan and by charging more you could afford to pay the contributors.

-pay the contributers, either cash or with product, (give them X amount of zines to sell / give away.) I know we would all do it for free. But put your punk guilt aside for a moment and think about all the crap you do for money that you hate. If we want to build a world where we earn a living for what we love we're going to have to accept payment at some point.

-Allow contributers to print and sell the zines (if they aren't being paid in product in which case they should be able to buy additional zines to sell at cost). This helps everyone out and increases the distribution and visibility of the zine

-Write out an agreement with the contributors, you don't have to sign it, but it should all be in writing. I would ask for 1 year exclusivity for LE, and the option to reprint in an anthology. Decide what the compensation should be, write that down too.

Handshake agreements suck. Nobody remembers the specifics the same. We change, our principles change, people die and suddenly you are dealing with their family instead of them. (true story involving my friend and elliot smith) So yeah, write it down. (i have some examples of agreements if anyone wants one)

</rant>
xo
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:25:28 PM by Ross Cowman »

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
Hey Ross,

Great ideas. $10 is going to be too much to charge for what Luxe Eternal is going to be. $10 is what I am charging for the slimmed-down version of Ribbon Drive, and that's a full-color interior book that comes with a compilation CD featuring 12 awesome songs by 10 awesome artists. Luxe Eternal is something smaller than that, and less professional.

$5 sounds quite reasonable, and that might be the case when the dust settles. Giving contributors the ability to sell their own copies sounds like a rad idea, especially if that's limited to local sales: internet & PDF sales go through moi, and you can sell your own copies of LxE at conventions and to your friends and at little zine symposiums if you like.

Thanks for all the awesome ideas. Consider at least a bunch of them implemented.