Love Letters *TO* the MC

• 3 Replies

Chroma

Love Letters *TO* the MC
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »
So, MCed my very first session of Apocalypse World last Sunday and it went swimmingly.  Six players and all made interesting characters that I'm really excited to see in play.  I hope to share more details soon, but something interesting came up post-game... I, as MC, got love letters from two of the players!  Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what they'd done.

Me, I'm taking them as golden platters and running full bore!  *laugh*

It had been revealed in play that Titus, the Chopper, had killed the previous gang boss, Boss Jim in a duel, but the specifics had not been spelled out, so, after the game, the player suggested that it had been a kind of Kansas City Shuffle where Titus had actually cut a deal with Boss Jim, who was actually in cohoots with a rival hardholder while working security for the PC Hardholder, and had faked the death with a mutilated body.  "And that's the 'obligation' hanging over my gang", was the player's suggestion.

And Marilyn, the Skinner, revealed to me that she wasn't really a she and wanted to be on the run and "hiding in plain sight" from powerful and dangerous pursuers.

I've never had players *ask* for trouble before in other games, so I'm quite excited about this opportunity.

"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

Re: Love Letters *TO* the MC
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »
Yep, if you're getting that sort of stuff handed to you, I'd say you're running it right. It's seriously excellent, as a player, to help determine the twist of my own trouble, and as an MC, it sure does feel like a love letter when one of the players says "Oh, and there's this kid that's following me around making me feel creep-ed out. I think I owe him something."

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 12:40:40 PM »
Just don't ask the MC to roll dice.

Chroma

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:01:03 PM »
Just don't ask the MC to roll dice.

Ah no... the players wanted me to give them opportunities to roll more dice... here's the moves I gave them today:

Dear Marilyn, we’ve all got secrets, some dark, some silly, and some we never want to get out… unfortunately, sometimes those secrets have a way of escaping… or chasing us down.

When you are afraid your past has caught up with you, roll+sharp:
On a 10+: Whew!  A false alarm, your secret is still safe…
On a 7-9: choose two
• someone who sounds an awful lot like Beckitt was seen out on the roads recently
• that odd little kid, Five, was spying on you, but slipped away
• the nightmares have become worse

On a miss: That fucker Beckitt is in the marketplace RIGHT NOW, and if he’s around, that means Sido can’t be far behind, and if Sido shows up, that freak is  gonna sniff you right out.  He hasn’t noticed you yet, who would suspect anyway, but Beckitt’s gonna keep nosing around unless something is done… or you run.

Love & Kisses, your MC

And:

Dear Titus, you’re well on the way to becoming an important Big Shot.  The thing is, Big Shots got things they gotta do… obligations as it were… that sometimes come from Bigger Shots.

When you get a message from Boss Jim, roll+hard:
On a 10+: Stay cool man, take +1cool forward from sheer confidence
On a 7-9: choose one
• spill the deets about an upcoming raid
• send a few Red Suns (Titus's gang) off to do something you don’t need to know about
• give this sealed letter to Doakes

On a miss: You need to kill Pearlman Jr, Henshaw’s right-hand man, and it’s gotta be messy.  Get it done, you can mark experience, screw it up, and Someone is going to be very disappointed.

Love & Kisses, your MC
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES