Lights of Hoover 3: Now Entering Hoover

• 9 Replies

Judd

Lights of Hoover 3: Now Entering Hoover
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
Stuck in Cocktail

They showed Cybelle the dry well where they heard the voices and she went down on a rope and checked it out.  There was a narrow shaft filled with bats but who the hell knows where it led.

Doc made up with Bar, brought her a desert flower and charmed her into accepting his apology.  He rolled a 7, so in order to get her to accept his apology he left his nurses, Shigusa and Mox in Cocktail.  Shigusa and Mox were looking forward to the R&R and handed over their air-horns with glee.

Harlan got Esmerelda to have her biker gang ride with them into Hoover, part guards, part show of force.

Cybelle kind of adopted (or was adopted by) a coy-dog, little guy could sense her hitch-hiker, the later psychic, Ma.  She likes the dog because he doesn't talk.

As the MC, I had to not push them towards Hoover.  There were loose ends they wanted tidied up in Cocktail and its just the third game in; everyone's easing into their characters and how the group dynamics shake out.

Anthony took a few gigs and one of them is taking Cocktail's tribute to Hoover.  They took a barrel of hooch with them to give to the Engineer-in-Chief.

On the ride to Hoover, they saw a light that had been left on from a road-side stand.  The light was a broken heart, blinking and red.  Doc asked one of the bikers what that meant.

"Its a love pit?"

"What?"

"A pit with people in it who you can pay to fuck on... a love pit."

"People just end up in these things?"

"If you get taken and don't have nobody to stand up for ya....sure, it happens."

Finally...Hoover

Hoover's a sleepy town during the day.  They rolled in and some engineers, in gray overalls with their wrench on their hips as part badge, part melee weapon, met them.  There was a failed read a sitch, they knew they were coming and knew damned well that the doc wanted a hospital.

They met with the Engineer-in-Chief, Phoenix on top of the dam, under cover of umbrellas with ice water to cool them down.  Phoenix and Doc immediately started talking about how to make a hospital happen.

"For our next tribute, we'll ask the rim towns to bring in hospital equipment, that will get the salvagers to work."

Harlan went with an engineer, Bisbee, to take the hooch in to the dam.  They got 'jacked by Carson and his gang.  "Hand it over, gents.  Hooch ain't worth dying over, is it?"

They handed it over, though Harlan was pissed.  He fired up the Croaker and found their bikes.  He ran the bikes all over and took the hooch back.  Not wanting to fuck with his car while they were on foot, the Carson and his gang ran for it. 

When Phoenix heard that some jackals turned guns and weapons on her engineer and the doc's driver, she got on the P.A. system and announced that Carson and his gang were in the dark, exiled, wanted dead or alive for their crimes.  Harlan, Doc and Cybelle had a conversation about the right and the wrong of it.  Doc seemed to think it was alright, the way civilization worked but Harlan saw it as cut and dry despotism.  Harlan refers to Phoenix as the Head Wrench.

Cybelle got a touch on Phoenix with her violation glove and did the ole Deep Brain Scan.  Rough.  She found out that Phoenix was holding her parent's dead brain waves/ghosts in Hoover and that she felt she had to control everything that showed a glimmer of civilization.  Also, she ordered the destruction of a rim-town called Library and held the Librarian's Brain/Ghost in Hoover so that she had the information.

Cybelle is figuring out when to drop this information on Doc and/or Harlan.

Bisbee took Doc around to see the local bone-setters.  They're quacks, using a mix of crystals, dirty saws and rough hands to do the best that they can.  Doc is going to gather them when he is next in town in hopes of recruiting for his hospital.

Before they left, Doc went to see Phoenix, letting her know that they were going to go pick up their nurse crew.  She offered to send engineers to get them but he insisted on doing so himself.  She sent a Wire Sheriff with him, a lady from Gas named Saint John.  Harlan immediately started flirting with her shamelessly.

As they left Hoover, the sun set and the lights went on.  They could see the rim town's various lights on the horizon including the blinking cocktail glass that they were heading to.  On the ride to Cocktail, they held a palaver.

"Some things, Doc, they seem too good to be true because they are too good to be true."

I reckon we'll finish the car ride talk at the beginning of the next game.

Seemed almost shorter this week, though I think this was the longest game yet.  I was beat from the previous day, so I got home from work, took a nap and woke up just in time to walk downstairs and start gaming with my hair still going in all directions from bed-head.

Judd

Re: Lights of Hoover 3: Now Entering Hoover
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »
He fired up the Croaker and found their bikes.  He ran the bikes all over and took the hooch back.  Not wanting to fuck with his car while they were on foot, the Carson and his gang ran for it. 

We rolled this as Go Aggro rather than Seize by Force.  Harlan wasn't out to kill anyone, but was totally into intimidation, destroying their bikes and getting that damned hooch back.  I was thinking about whether or not I made the right move here but looking back, it feels alright.

This is a reminder that I need to go back and re-read the MC chapters and the bits about the moves.

Ry

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:58:46 PM »
Awesome.  I'm happily watching/learning/cultivating an apocalyptic imagination.

Judd

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:29:19 AM »
One of the coolest things that happened last night and I forgot to write it up.

I asked Sarah if Cybelle had ever met another Brainer and she talked about Cybelle growing up the runt of a big family, sent out into the world to fend off the jackals because there just wasn't enough food to feed her.  How she had gone through a whole lot of trauma and that was why she was so skittish about trusting people.

There is a neat kind of 3 way conflict that is simmering and set to boil, where Harlan and Cybelle want to stay footloose and fancy free, not trusting much of anything about Hoover, but Doc wants to settle down and start building some proper civilization, a learning hospital where he can teach other doctors. 

Judd

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:30:01 AM »
Awesome.  I'm happily watching/learning/cultivating an apocalyptic imagination.

Thanks, Ry.

Judd

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
Real World, not Apocalypse World:

Anthony, Sarah and Pete are in the kitchen.  Sarah is trying to find something to bring with her to eat during the day.

"Why not bring bacon?"

"I'm not carrying bacon around all day."

"Why not?  Its the Meat of Peace!"

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:53:43 PM »
^ That is beautiful.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:35:36 AM »
"I'm not carrying bacon around all day."

"Why not?  Its the Meat of Peace!"

Well, maybe not so much if you're the pig.

-JC

Judd

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 11:14:49 AM »
^ That is beautiful.

Thanks.  I love it when gaming gives us this kinds of fun in-jokes and vocabulary from a fictional place.

Well, maybe not so much if you're the pig.

Unfortunately, Jim, the cruel apocalypse has no time for the feelings of pigs.

RichD

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »
Part of me really wants you guys to run into the last observant Jew on the planet just to see what would happen.