Picking a Move from Another Playbook

• 14 Replies
Picking a Move from Another Playbook
« on: June 27, 2010, 09:54:52 AM »
When you pick a move from another playbook, can you choose moves that the character automatically gets (like a Hocus's Followers, or the Driver's No Shit Driver?)  I assume yes.

Can you choose another playbook's Special Sex Move?  (I assume no.)

If you change playbooks, can you still take advances/moves from your original playbook?  Do you keep your original Special Sex Move?

lumpley

Re: Picking a Move from Another Playbook
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »
Right, yes.

Right, no.

Maybe! When you change playbooks, you and your MC go through your old playbook and decide together what you get to keep.

-Vincent

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »
But you don't keep your sex move from your previous character type, right?
♥ Julia

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 03:23:30 PM »
From an "I want precise rules for everything" point of view (which I find I am frequently looking at things from) switching playbooks is one of the most confusing improvement options.
I'm also confused in general about the expanded improvement options: are they mean to be a list like the normal improvement options that get ticked off and don't allow for repeats? (so you'd switch playbooks at most one time per character?)

lumpley

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
The rules ARE precise! You're just trying to apply them wicked prematurely, with no information to go by. The rules are:

Whatever is part of the character's old life, the character doesn't keep.
Whatever is part of the character's new life, the character gets.
Overriding both, whatever is part of the character's self, the character keeps.

I can't possibly tell you sight unseen whether a character's former potential future (that is, which ungiven future options she's chosen) is part of her old life or part of her self. I wouldn't be able to decide that unless I knew the character. You won't be able to decide it until you know the character either.

For most characters, the possibility that they will one day move on from a second life to a third is probably part of their selves, so they'll get to keep it. But I wouldn't go so far as to call that the rule.

I can tell you that for Julia's character Rose, running The Garden was part of his old life, not part of his self, so he didn't get to keep it.  I can tell you that I thought that the maestro d's sex move was part of his old life, not part of his self, but I've been thinking about it and I might change my mind. If I do, he'll have two sex moves, and that's pretty interesting.

-Vincent

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:29:26 AM »
I can tell you that for Julia's character Rose, running The Garden was
part of his old life, not part of his self, so he didn't get to keep
it.  I can tell you that I thought that the maestro d's sex
move was part of his old life, not part of his self, but I've been
thinking about it and I might change my mind. If I do, he'll have two
sex moves, and that's pretty interesting.
Very interesting! (Speaking as Rose's player, I would love to have those two sex moves, and agree that his sex move is likely part of his self) The Maestro D' and Hardholder sex moves compliment each other quite nicely. The Maestro D's move doesn't require sex, but a transaction where the M. D' procures something another character is looking for, where the Hardholder's sex move entails giving +1 barter to someone after you've had sex with them. I can see how having two sex moves might not always work for a character.

But how would that look for a character with two sex moves that either both require sex or are in some way have opposing actions? Is it possible for something that is part of a character's self not be part of or compatible her new life?
♥ Julia

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:49:35 AM »
The rules ARE precise! You're just trying to apply them wicked prematurely, with no information to go by.
Sorry!  That's the kind of thing I do when I read a game text.  :)  I think I'm just always worried I'll come to a point in play and I won't know what I'm "supposed" to do.  The idea that "you'll know how the rules work later" is a bit difficult to grasp having not been there yet.

I can't possibly tell you sight unseen whether a character's former potential future . . . is part of her old life or part of her self.
This is one of the funniest things I've read today.  Not that that means I don't believe you.  :)  Just that I literally laughed out loud when I read "former potential future."

Anyway, thanks for responding.  I'll take it on faith that if/when someone in my group gets to that point in a game, it'll all work out.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 06:04:21 PM »
When you take "A No Shit Driver" as a move from another character's playbook, does it gives you a car (with a profile from the list available for a driver)?

I assume the answer is no, but I want to be sure.

lumpley

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
The answer is no!

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
That's what carjacking is for.

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 02:00:10 AM »
The answer is no!
Thanks!

So, if my savvyhead have a workspace that's in a schoolbus, and wants to pick "a no shit driver" move, what should I do?

Tell him to write down some stats for it, but adjust car stats acordingly to the fiction? (like, he never told us the car is armored, so armor-0 etc?)

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 03:07:48 AM »
The answer is no!

Vincent, I think this is a bit confusing, because in response to the OP you said "yes!" when she asked "can I pick moves like a Hocus' followers?" But the move is actually fortunes, and picking fortunes doesn't automatically grant you followers, much like No shit driver doesn't automatically grant you a car.

Right?

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 04:08:21 AM »
When you pick a move from another playbook, can you choose moves that the character automatically gets (like a Hocus's Followers, or the Driver's No Shit Driver?)  I assume yes.

I think as a hocus, you don't get followers with the hocus move ("fortunes"). You get them, cause you're a hocus. Same with the driver and his car.

To create your hocus, choose name, look, stats, moves, followers, and Hx.

By default you have around 20 followers, loyal to you but not fanatical. They have their own lives apart from you, integrated in the local population (fortune+1 surplus: 1-barter want: desertion).

Now, what "fortunes" move is about... what it literally does:

Fortunes: At the beginning of the session, roll+fortune. On a 10+, your followers have surplus. On a 7–9, they have surplus, but choose 1 want. On a miss, they are in want.

So it's logical to take "fortunes" move only when you have the followers and "fortune" tag.
But...
Only a skinner have an option to improve like this:
 - get followers (detail) and fortunes (move)

So, you can take "fortunes" move, but this will give you nothing, right?
cause you don't have followers and they don't have "n-fortunes" tag.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:10:35 AM by Selyuna »

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 04:20:48 AM »
So it's logical to take "fortunes" move only when you have the followers and "fortune" tag.
But...
Only a skinner have an option to improve like this:
 - get followers (detail) and fortunes (move)

So, you can take "fortunes" move, but this will give you nothing, right?
cause you don't have followers and they don't have "n-fortunes" tag.

Right. You can only get followers one of three ways:

1. Be a Hocus
2. Take that Skinner improvement
3. Get followers in the fiction somehow

And followers only grant you +1 fortune, right? There's no such thing as x fortune, where x is anything other than +1, right?

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 04:29:12 AM »
Yeah, basically followers give 1-fortune, only hocus itself have options to choose from for followers (like +1 fortune).
Think it's logical, if you're a hocus, you're fuckin' special. Right? It's not so easy to have followers and I like it.

Only the operator isn't fuckin' special, cause almost everyone can get "2 gigs (detail) and moonlighting" and don't have to take an obligation gig! And do the same gigs as operator.

And, improving and taking "moonlighting" as an improvement option "get a move from another playbook" - you can do this, but it's pointless. Better to take "get 2 gigs (detail) and moonlighting" (I know, not all characters can do that, but it's logical why and why not).

Anyway, I think I know what I will do with my savvyhead, who wants to be "a no shit driver".

I'll write a profile for his car, but first I'll tell him to work on this.
Other vehicles
A savvyhead with a proper workspace can create more extreme vehicles than cars and bikes, with stats up to +3 and who knows what all attached to it. Driver or chopper + savvyhead with a garage, that’s a fun game.

When it comes time to write up a savvyhead’s new creations:
• If it’s a vehicle, give it its profile, and you can go up to +3 for power, looks and weakness, and up to like 4-armor or some crazy shit — plus whatever’s mounted on it. Give it its frame, strengths, looks and weaknesses, and you aren’t limited to the lists available to choppers and drivers. Expand them as seems good.

tell me if you have other ideas, or think my logic is wrong!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:32:50 AM by Selyuna »